SCAM ALERT: Utility Imposters
If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be Jefferson PUD (or PSE) and threatening to shut off power if not immediately paid over the phone, HANG UP! It is almost certainly a scam.
Do not pay them or give out any personal information. This is not the PUD!
Jefferson County PUD employees will never:
- Demand immediate payment over the phone, via text, email, or home visit.
- Request credit card, banking, or financial info over the phone, via text, email, or home visit.
- Request payment on a prepaid card.
- Shut off service without providing written notice at least 7 days in advance.
How to stay proactive:
- Call us directly to discuss options if you are behind on your bill.
- Download the SmartHub App to check your real-time balance and usage anytime on mobile or desktop.
- Never give utility account or payment info over the phone unless you call us directly at (360) 385-5800.
We urge customers to BE SKEPTICAL.
If you suspect you are being scammed, hang up, use your caller log or caller ID to grab their number and call the Jefferson County’s Sheriff Office to report your experience.
Email scams also pose a risk. If you receive a suspicious looking email with a link from Jefferson PUD regarding any account information do not click the link. Email scams, known as ‘phishing’, involve official looking emails prompting customers to provide personal identification. Scammers use this information to invade customer accounts or create new accounts in their name. Phishing emails may also prompt customers to download malicious software to their computer known as ransomware.
What can you do about suspicious emails? Do not click links! Instead, open a new internet tab and visit the PUD webpage directly to view account information.
Remember, regarding scammers, knowing is half the battle.