Commercial buildings often have highly complex and unique systems and variable operations. For this reason, many commercial energy efficiency opportunities are best approached as custom projects. BPA has a team of Customer Service Engineers on hand to support customer utilities in identifying custom project opportunities for retrofit and new construction.
Rebate Incentive (beginning 04/01/23)
Advanced Rooftop Until Control - ARC Full
Advanced Rooftop Unit Control - ARC Lite Only
Connected Thermostat - Initial Install Only
Ductless Heat Pump Retrofit & Upgrade - (upgrade)
Ductless Heat Pump Retrofit & Upgrade - (retrofit)
Air Source Heat Pump Retrofit & Upgrade - (upgrade)
Air Source Heat Pump Retrofit & Upgrade - (retrofit)
Heat Pump Water Heater - Tier 3
Heat Pump Water Heater - Split System
If you are an equipment installation contractor and think you have a building that qualifies for a custom project approach, please contact your local utility. For an easy-to-use zip code lookup tool of utility contacts and incentives, visit the Trade Ally Network NW’s Local Resource Search page.
BPA custom project payments range from $0.025/kWh to $0.35, up to 70% of incremental project cost.
Custom projects follow 5 basic steps
- Proposal development
- The utility works with its customer to develop a custom project proposal, including estimated energy savings, project cost, and measurement & verification (M&V) plan. A custom project proposal is not strictly required for every project, but it is often a good idea. A BPA Customer Service Engineer is available to provide technical expertise during proposal development.
- Proposal submittal
- The utility submits the proposal to BPA for review and approval.
- Project implementation
- The utility works with its customer and necessary trade allies to complete the project. BPA’s trade ally networks are on hand to support identification of trade allies that can serve projects effectively. Note that the order and purchase date of the equipment must be after BPA approval of the custom project proposal (if applicable).
- Project close-out
- The measurement & verification (M&V) are completed and the custom project completion report is prepared. The BPA Customer Service Engineer is available to provide M&V expertise during the project close-out and can help fill out the necessary custom project completion report.
- Project completion
- The utility submits the completion report to BPA for review and acceptance. Final payment from BPA to utility is based on the accepted completion report data.