Low Income Customer Assistance
What will I receive if I qualify? Qualifying low-income customers can receive a $35 per month credit on their electric bill and, if they have water and/or sewer services from the PUD, 30% off the base charge for residential water and/or sewer services.
Do I qualify? Customers must meet the income thresholds allowed for LIHEAP assistance. To qualify for LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program), the household income must not exceed 125% of the federal poverty level. You can find a complete table by household size by clicking here. There are various deductions and exclusions allowed for different types of income.
How do I apply? To enroll on the PUD’s new low-income program, customers must contact OlyCAP. The easiest way to make an appointment is to use the online calendar provided by OlyCAP. You can access the calendar by clicking here. Those who do not have internet access or need assistance signing up for an appointment can call OlyCAP’s Port Townsend office at 360-385-2571.
You can review the required documents by clicking here. You can also view and print the required application by clicking here. Taking the completed application with you to your appointment at OlyCAP is helpful.
If approved, how long do I get the credit? Once the PUD learns of your eligibility, it may take six to eight weeks for the credit to appear on your bill. Once enrolled, the enrollment remains active for 18 months, at which time the customer will need to re-enroll.
What else do I need to know?
- The qualifying thresholds can change annually.
- If your income status changes making you ineligible for the program, you must report the income change to the PUD.
- The program is subject to continued approval of funding by the PUD and may be discontinued or revised by the PUD Board of Commissioners at any time by Resolution of the Commission.
- Unreasonably high electric or water usage for a residential home, use of electricity or water for business or business-like purposes, multiple accounts, or other extraordinary circumstances may disqualify a customer from receiving a reduction.
- LIHEAP funding is seasonal and subject to program limits and availability . PUD program participants do not have to be LIHEAP recipients to enroll on the PUD assistance program but PUD assistance program participants must meet the income eligibility requirements of LIHEAP.
- More questions and answers can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page by clicking here.
Have other questions? Contact our Customer Service Representatives at 360-385-5800 Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.